Responsible Tourism Statement
At McHardy Lodge, we work hard to support our beautiful natural environment by undertaking a number of actions. Our sustainability will be an ongoing journey which will improve with time and experience. Some of the ways in which we do this are:
- Buying locally grown and organic products
- Growing some of our own herbs, fruit and vegetables
- Composting our organic waste for the garden
- Using motion sensors on interior/exterior lighting
- Using biodegradable and environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Donating our linen/towels (when replacing with new) and any unwanted items to the local hospice shop
- Always shopping with reusable bags
- Recycling partially used guest soaps back to the supplier to be converted to Bio Diesel and biodegradable industrial cleaners
- Turning off appliances at the power point when not in use
- Recycle all waste paper, plastic and glass deposited in guest suite waste bins
McHardy Lodge has developed the following environmental policy which is based on a commitment to improving our environmental performance across all areas of our business practice and in the service we offer. In order to achieve this we pledge the following:
- To think before we buy informed buying decisions can help us reduce the amount of raw materials used in manufactured goods, eliminate air and land pollution, cut waste volumes, support local businesses and encourage good employment practices here and overseas. This can also help stop the destruction of valuable native forests and natural habitats around the world.
- To think before we use efficient use of energy, water, office products, fuel and other resources we use to ensure our business reduces our environmental impact.
- To think before we discard recycling and composting as much waste as possible can help reduce air and land pollution, and reduce the amount going into landfills.
- To protect wildlife and natural habitats grounds are maintained in an environmentally sensitive way, which helps ensure native trees, insects and birds thrive and that run-off from our property does not pollute streams or drain into the sea.
- To educate and grow happy, well-informed staff are a crucial asset to our business success and the tourist experience. Our business will train them, make guests aware of what were doing and inform them how they can actively participate in helping our environmental sustainability.
- To commit to legal compliance our business ensures compliance with relevant environmental legislation and regulations and other requirements to which we subscribe.